The painting hangs in the drawing room of Bristol’s Georgian House. It is likely to have been commissioned by John Pinney, who built the house in 1790. Pinney was a wealthy Bristol sugar merchant, with a plantation, Mantravers, on the Caribbean island of Nevis.
Nicholas Pocock’s first career was as a mariner, and later a captain, on many trade voyages to the Caribbean, including some carrying enslaved Africans. After 1776, he retired from the sea to his home in Bristol, to follow a career as a painter.
© Bristol Museums, Galleries & Archive
Accession reference: Bristol Museums, Galleries & Archives, K5532